Open Information Licence
This licence applies only to the following Canadian Coast Guard publications (herein known as ‘Information’) which are made available for free download on the Canadian Coast Guard website and the Monthly Edition of Notices to Mariners (NOTMAR) website .
- Monthly Edition of Notices to Mariners
- Annual Edition of Notices to Mariners
- Notices to Shipping
- List of Lights, Buoys and Fog Signal
- Canadian Aids to Navigation System
- Ice Navigation in Canadian Waters
Licencees are encouraged to use the Information that is available under this Licence with only a few conditions outlined below.
Using information under this Licence:
- Use of the Information indicates the Licencee’s acceptance of the terms and conditions below.
- The Licensor grants the Licencee a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive Licence to use the Information subject to the conditions below.
Licencees are free to:
- copy, publish, translate and distribute the Information by any means;
- adapt the Information;
- exploit the Information commercially;
Licencees must, where any of the above is performed:
- ensure that the Information is not used in a way that suggests any official status or that the Information Provider endorses the Licencee or the Licencee’s use of the Information;
- keep the integrity of the Information and ensure that others are not mislead or misrepresent the Information or its source;
- maintain features that are designed to comply with the Nautical Charts and Publications Regulations of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001. Where applicable, final products must retain identification as “An Official Publication of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans”, document the version date, and be paginated in a way that allows ship’s officers to verify the status of the information to ensure it is complete, up-to-date and accurate for the area of navigation and for regulatory compliance;
- acknowledge the source of the Information by including the following attribution statement and, where possible, provide a link to this Licence;
Attribution Statement:Contains information published by the Canadian Coast Guard and Department of Fisheries and Oceans licensed under the Canadian Coast Guard Open Information Licence. This Information is available in its original format for free download on the Canadian Coast Guard website and the Monthly Edition of the Notices to Mariners (NOTMAR) website
These are important conditions of the Licence. If the Licencee fails to comply with any of them, the rights granted to the Licencee under this Licence, or any similar Licence granted by the Licensor, will end automatically.
This Licence does not grant the Licencee any right to use:
- personal data in the Information;
- third party rights the Information Provider is not authorised to Licence;
- the name, crest, logos, other official symbols or domain names of the Licensor;
- Information subject to other intellectual property rights, including patents and trademarks.
The Information is Licensed “as is”, and the Information Provider excludes all representations, warranties, obligations and liabilities in relation to the Information to the maximum extent permitted by law.
The Information Provider is not liable for any errors or omissions in the Information, and shall not be liable for any loss, injury or damage of any kind caused by its use.
The Information Provider does not guarantee the continued supply of the Information, with the exception of Information required by federal legislation or international conventions.
In this Licence, the terms below have the following meanings:
- means information protected by copyright or by database right offered for use under the terms of this Licence.
- Information Provider
- means the Canadian Coast Guard which is providing the Information under this Licence.
- means any Information Provider which has the authority to offer Information under the terms of this Licence.
- as a verb, means doing any act which is restricted by copyright or database right, whether in the original medium or in any other medium, and includes without limitation distributing, copying, adapting, modifying as may be technically necessary to use it in a different mode or format.
- means the natural or legal person, or body of persons corporate or incorporate, acquiring rights under this Licence.
This Licence is governed by the laws of the province of Ontario and the applicable laws of Canada.
Legal proceedings related to this agreement may only be brought in the courts of Ontario or the Federal Court of Canada.
The Canadian Coast Guard has developed this licence as a tool to license the use and re-use of their Information under a common open licence. It is based on the proposed Open Government Licence
This is version 1.0 of the Canadian Coast Guard Open Information License. The Licensor may make changes to the terms of this Licence from time to time and issue a new version of the Licence with updated Information. It may also be superseded by the proposed Open Government Licence once ratified.
The Licencee’s use of the Information will be governed by the terms of the Licence in force as of the date you accessed the Information.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: